Random Gobshite...

Friday, March 20, 2009

Tires....


Under the category of Random Consumerist Woes, I have to pick up tires for Florence, my 2000 Subaru Outback. WTF?! I'm not one of those whiny tightwads that squawks at the price of everything. But I mean, c'mon, they are just RUBBER, for crying out loud....


So I start out at The Tire Rack (great site btw-they let you compare prices and see what custom wheels look like on your personal car). The tire in question, the General Ultimax HP (highly rated by members of the Outback forum I subscribe to) is priced at $82 each. Nice, right? But wait-as they say when trying to sell you Shamwow's or anything else on TV "There's more". The trick is, you need to find a participating dealer or someone willing in your area to mount and balance your tires. Then, of course, the usual shell game of valve stems, tire disposal, etc., etc. The price goes up at least $20 per tire. Actually I think it's more than that, but my head hurts and I'm not adding it up for all of you cause you probably don't care anyway.


Then comes the matter of alignment-I HAD to have an all wheel drive car, so of course I HAVE to get a four-wheel alignment-not so bad, but tacked on to the tire bill we are looking at over $600 with tax. Yes, the economy sucks, especially for film makers who are trying to eventually quit their regular jobs. Guess I will be at it a little longer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home